Our world’s most difficult problems are getting solved at the community level, by the people closest to them. Unlocking Potential was founded by Carly Fiorina to provide those leaders with the tools and resources to strengthen their leadership and problem-solving skills.
We offer a variety of programming options — from individual, hourly coaching to full-day, immersive programs and long-term planning — to help mission-driven people and teams strengthen their leadership and problem-solving skills. Our curriculum is built on Carly’s deep experience developing leaders in every context — and is based on her philosophy that leaders are made, not born; that everyone can be a leader; and that the people closest to the problem are best positioned to solve it.
For more than a decade, Carly Fiorina has personally developed problem-solving capacity in industries ranging from telecommunications, financial services, and healthcare to trade associations, higher education, professional services and more. Now, she’s leveraging her expertise to scale these offerings with a team of highly-skilled professionals passionate about empowering teams in the non-profit sector with the knowledge and tools to succeed. We are committed to ensuring every organization is reaching its highest potential through programming with a proven track record.
There is no organization too small or large to take advantage of our offerings. Carly and the team at offer custom programs to inspire and empower teams to become even stronger problem-solvers and more innovative thinkers, fueling long-term growth and stability.
We’re not consultants. We don’t tell companies how to solve their problems – or even what those problems are. The people closest to the problems know and understand those challenges and solutions best. Instead, we’re here to ensure that every member of the team, from executives to front-line employees, becomes a world class problem-solver.
The Position: Press Secretary
The Unlocking Potentail team is hiring a Press Secretary. This team member will provide everyday coordination and management of the earned media responsibilities including but not limited to:
- Maintain relationships with local Virginia, D.C. and National media outlets
- Proactively writing media pitches to place op-eds
- Writing and editing UP blog content
- Maintaining the UP press list and database of potential media publications
- Assist with the display and functionality of the website
- Creating and editing UP program communications and marketing materials
- Managing the newsletter database and writing original newsletter content for distribution
- Prepping and reviewing talking points
We’re looking for a professional with 2-5 years of experience in their career who’d like to learn to master press & communications responsibilities and grow their writing, editing, and creative strengths. Role preferences are listed below:
- Ability to prioritize, multi-task and respond to requests in a timely fashion is paramount
- Strong writer with portfolio examples available
- A keen eye for copy editing
- Being able to adapt to a dynamic environment with some interruptions
- Clear understanding of social media platforms including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn
- Experience developing content and messaging for websites, social media, newsletters or media pitches preferred
- Experience with squarespace, art19, sprout social and/or survey monkey tools a plus
- Experience with communications or program coordination with another nonprofit a plus
- Sense of humor a must
Unlocking Potential is located in the historic City of Alexandria, Virginia just across the Potomac from Washington, D.C. Our office is steps from where George Washington convened in the evenings to talk politics and local news. We’re minutes from the vibrant main thoroughfare of King Street and Old Town where you can find incredible dining, shopping and entertainment. Some of the best lunch spots are walking distance from the office, as are Starbucks, the Post Office, and the Braddock Metro. Live in the charm of Alexandria and drive or bus to our office -- or find a home in another one of the many lively neighborhoods in the D.C. Metro Area and drive or metro into the office. The UP team is located across the metro area and will be happy to give you housing recommendations if you’re new to the area!
Why You Should Apply
Our mission is focused on building the leadership and problem-solving capacity of other non-profit teams. We need the brightest and most capable by our side to make that vision real. We don’t just teach diversity - we live it - and truly believe we thrive by including a variety of perspectives at the table. We’re committed to making an inclusive environment for all employees.
Our compensation is competitive, and we offer healthcare, vision and dental benefits to all employees. We frequently host team happy hours and off-site bonding events, and you’ll be able to learn in an atmosphere that offers you flexibility and growth opportunities. Unlocking Potential has a generous unlimited PTO policy, with remote work options available on an as-needed basis. While our office doesn’t allow dogs, we’re all dog lovers, and sometimes we get to sneak in Max & Snickers for a quick hang-out when Carly is in.
To apply please submit your resume, cover letter, and applicable work samples to firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and the name of the position in the subject line. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.